Copy Editing – Also known as “line editing”, a copy editor guarantees the clarity and consistency of each sentence.
- Verify grammar
- Clarify confusing sentences
- Fit the document to the style guide (A.P., Chicago, etc.)
- Check links, dates, spelling of proper nouns, and other error-prone items
Proofreading – A proofreader performs the final check before the document goes to print.
- Spelling and punctuation
- Major grammatical errors that would affect the image of the publication
- Check the Table of Contents against page numbers
- Verify dates, names, credits, headers, and footers, particularly in periodicals
- Comb through indexes
"David handles the late-stage proofreading for The Freeman. He's always accessible, responsive and straightforward when it comes to deadlines--and most important, of course, he meets them. Always catches a dozen things I missed the first four or five times I read them; always draws my attention to other things I needed to think about. Adds value, particularly since these things become more significant as the publication cycle progresses."
— Michael Nolan, Managing Editor, The Freeman
Contact DKF Writing Services, Austin editor and proofreader, for a free quote.